COVID-19 and Child Custody Matters Series, Part 7

What if I’ve lost my job and I can’t afford my child support?

Many families are struggling with loss of employment or reduced hours.  If you find yourself unable to pay child support because of a COVID-19 related impact to your employment or income, it may be necessary to request a temporary modification to your child support orders.

On April 3, 2020, the Arizona Supreme Court issued Administrative Order 2020-59, which permits local courts to reduce some of the barriers to seeking modifications to parenting time and child support if the basis of the request is primarily related to COVID-19.  Courts are now able to accept a motion to temporarily modify child support under Rules 47 and 48, Arizona Rules of Family Law Procedure, without an underlying Petition to Modify Child Support. This reduces some of the cost and procedural requirements associated with seeking a change.

If you would like to receive guidance about your options or would like representation in filing a request to modify your child support obligation, you can contact family law attorney Ashley DeBoard at Flagstaff Law Group for a consultation.

*Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice. Legal advice should take into account the specific facts of your situation.  You should seek professional legal counsel before acting upon any of the information contained in this article.